This section examines guidelines
and considerations to take into account when installing devices.
- Factors related to installing hardware
- System resources
- Plug and Play (PnP)
- Hot swapping/plugging
- Guidelines for installing devices
- Using Device Manager to view installed
devices and their status.
Students will learn how to:
- Install devices using drivers included
with Windows and drivers available on disc.
- Use Device Manager to verify the
proper installation of devices.
- Safely remove hot swappable devices.
- Configure Windows to search Windows
Update for updated drivers.
- Configure driver signing behavior in
- Update device drivers
Lecture Focus Questions:
- What type of hardware devices use DMA
channels to communicate directly with RAM?
- When is manual configuration of a
- What system rights are required to
- What is the role of the driver?
- What is the importance of driver
signing? What should you be aware of when using a driver that is not
- How do you safely remove a hot
- How do you verify that a device is
compatible with the version of Windows you are running before you purchase
- Why is it good practice to check the
manufacturer's Web site for an updated driver, rather than using the
driver included on the installation disk?
4.6.1 Device Installation 5:47
4.6.2 Installing Devices 15:06
4.6.3 Managing Devices 17:52
Number of Exam Questions
About 55 minutes