Back to top
- ImgBurn Write CD / DVD images and it supports all the latest writers (including booktype / bitsetting on many of the major ones - i.e. BenQ, LiteOn, NEC, Plextor, Sony)
- InfraRecorder CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows
- BurnAtOnceExpress Burn
- Zilla CD-DVD Rip Burn
- DVD Decrypter
- DVD Shrink
- Nero CD-DVD Speed
- Active@ ISO Burner Freeware application that will allow you to burn an ISO image file to CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-RW, DVD-RW and DVD+RW.
- DAEMON Tools A virtual cd/dvd-rom and copy protection emulator.
- BurnCDCC Used to burn an ISO file to a CD/DVD/BD disc.
- DVDFab Decrypter3 Encrypt DVD video files onto your harddrive while removing region code protection and macrovision.
- CDWinder Media cataloging tool for the Win32 platform.
- Disclib - CD organizer
- Zoom Player Standard Robust Media and DVD Front-End Player.
- DOSBox emulator to run DOS based software on many OSes.
- ISO Recorder 2.0 - a tool to burn CD and DVD images (DVD support is only available on Windows Vista), copy disks, make images of the existing data CDs and DVDs and create ISO images from a content of a disk folder
- CDBurnerXP Pro 3.0 - a free alternative to programs like Nero, Roxio, etc. This is a full-featured CD and DVD authoring software
- CDBurnerXP burns CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs, creates ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface.
Back to top
Back to top
- CCleaner - system cleaner
RegSeeker A powerful registry cleaner and can display various information like your startup entries.
- Regmon Registry monitoring utility that will show you which applications are accessing your Registry, which keys they are accessing, and the Registry data that they are reading and writing - all in real-time.
- QuickKill kills running tasks.
- xp-AntiSpy - OS setup
- jv16 Powertools - system utilities
- XP SysPad - system monitoring utility
- What's Running - process guard
- Process Monitor Advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.
- Registrar Lite - registry editor
- Unlocker - file eraser.
lets one delete/rename/move a file that is locked by Windows for whatever reason.
- IE 7 Tweak Utility - This program allows you change tweak settings within IE 7. Hide/Remove
the search bar, command buttons, or the main menu
- IE 7 Search Bar Remover
- Recent Documents Set - This program allows you change the number of documents saved in the recent documents in the Windows start menu.
- Start menu name hide - This program allows you hide your username from the start menu.
- Uninstaller REvo to remove an application and its leftovers.
- Add/Remove Program Cleaner - This program allows you to
clean up the Add/Remove programs list in the control panel.
It should only be used to remove entries that are broken and
cannot be removed by running the uninstall program.
- Auto Reboot Remover - This program enables or
disables the automatic reboot 'feature' of windows XP SP2
after an update has been installed. Saves you from losing
important work when you walk away from your computer at the
wrong time - and XP decides it is going to close everything
- Hunter-Killer - a utility that allows you to delete old unwanted files automatically.
- Drive Catalogue - program for keeping tabs of files on CDs and other removable media.
- Copy Mail - a utility that allows you to send files from the Windows Command Prompt or batch files to an email address.
- Disk Filler - utility to use up space on your hard drive.
- Shut Down Windows - a utility that allows you to terminate applications before doing a shutdown or restart in Windows 98.
- Data Mover - a utility that is used to process, convert or synchronise application data.
- BOFHerrorMsg - function to generate random error messages for your amusement, based on the "Bastard DIY Excuse Board".
- WinDirStat 1.1.2 - a very useful disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool
- GParted partitions the disk. No loss of data
- Puran Defragmenter
- IObit SmartDefrag With "Install it and forget it" feature,SmartDefrag works automatically and quietly in the background on your PC, keeping your hard disk running at its speediest.
- Auslogic defragger
- Defraggler to defrag disks.
- PowerMax - HDD test
- DriveImage XML - create partition images
- CacheBooster CacheBooster allows you to tweak your harddisk caching to help achieve the best possible performance from your system. Win95/98 ONLY
- Virtual Dimension 0.94 - a free, fast and feature-filled virtual desktop manager
- Virtual Magnifying Glass v3.2.1 - a screen magnification tool
- TaskSwitchXP 2.0.11 - a replacement for the standard Windows Alt-Tab dialog
- Folder Size 2.3 - adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer to show the size of folders.
- Safarp 0.5 - fast alternative to the Add/Remove Control Panel utility
- Rainmeter 0.14 - customisable performance meter and other applets for the desktop
- WinRoll 2.0 - a tool to easily manage multiple open windows
- dotWidget 1.0 - run custom applets or "widgets" on your desktop
- Vital Desktop 1.42 - a tool that runs screensavers in the Windows desktop
- Drempels 1.5.0 - a screensaver that can also be run in the background or "desktop".
- Wallpaper Master Automatically change your background wallpaper with a huge range of options, and is great for indexing large collections of personal photos or any kind of image.
- Really Slick Screensavers 1.0 - a collection of OpenGL-based screensavers
- Spirex 2.23 - an OpenGL based 3D screensaver
- Run With Parameters 1.1.1 - a tool to run applications with parameters without using a command prompt
- LetMeType v1.81 - tool that helps you enter frequently-typed text strings in applications
- AveDesk - desktop enhancer
- IconPhile - customize windowss system icons
- CursorXP Free - change mouse cursors
- StrokeIt Advanced mouse gesture recognition engine and command processor.
- ShellEnhancer enhance the default shell of Windows allows you to make your own tasks and switch between them; tasks can be executed with hotkeys, mouse gestures or screen corners.
- NirCmd NirCmd is a small yet powerfull command-line utility.
- MacSound - volume control
- LClock - Windows Vista clock
- SyncBackSE Freeware Small, free, powerful folder syncing utility, system backup
- QuickPar File verification and repair tool using Par2 with many options.
- RKopie Create and manage customized backup jobs.
- Fullsync 0.9.1 - file synchronization and backup tool which is highly customizable and expandable.
- del.icio.us your portable bookmarks
- foxmarks for firefox. Portable bookmarks.
- Sysinternals Tools - various system tools
- TrueCrypt 4.3 - creates on-the-fly-encrypted disk partitions (hard disk, USB flash drive)
- Eraser - secure file eraser overwrites deleted files with fake data
- KeePass 1.07 - an open-source password safe repository
- PINs Secure passwords manager.
Steganos LockNote Hide your serial numbers, passwords, phone numbers and everyday notes in a safe place.
- 4t HIT Mail Privacy Lite Hide email within an image.
- AxCrypt 1.6.3 - free alternative to the PGP file encryption software
- winMd5Sum 188.8.131.52 - MD5 checker utility
- Graphical MD5Sum md5 checker
- HijackThis A general homepage hijackers detector and remover.
- Chaos MD5 - MD5 generator
- HashTab - MD5, SHA1 and CRC-32 file hashes
- MD5summer Windows MD5 Sum generator
- Reduced Permissions - Allows you to run Internet Explorer in a reduced permissions sandbox. It removes the administrator, and power user groups from IE. - Currently does not work on Windows 2003 due to a MS update
- Floppy Drive Disabler - Allows you to easily enable or disable Floppy drives on your Windows 2000, 2003, or XP system
- CD ROM Drive Disabler - Allows you to easily enable or disable CD ROM drives on your Windows 2000, 2003, or XP system
- USB Drive Disabler - Allows you to easily enable or disable USB drives on your Windows 2000, 2003, or XP system
- Mamma.com Replaces Google.com. Searches your computer, network drives and replaces GoogleToolbar.
- ask.com if you don't like google.com
- Launchy - Indexes the programs in your start menu and can launch your documents, project files, folders, and bookmarks with just a few keystrokes.
- SlickRun Instant access to any program or website.
- Qliner Hotkeys 2.0.1 - a tool to easily configure keyboard shortcuts for programs
- KeyTweak Keyboard remapper for Windows.
- TuneXP Windows Tweaking software.
- Placesbar The Windows Common dialogs (Open and Save) have a PlacesBar that appears on the left side of the dialogs PlacesBar Tweaker allows you to customize these locations.
- Google Desktop searches files in your computer and/or the Internet.
Back to top
Back to top
- GIMP 2.2.14 -a free alternative to Adobe Photoshop. This is a full-featured bitmap editor suitable for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring
- Amaya 11.0 - an HTML Web editor, a tool used to create and update documents directly on the Web.
- Easy Thumbnails - create thumbnails from images
- JoJoThumb - create thumbnails from images
- Paint.NET 3.0.5 - a image and photo editing tool similar to the native Windows Paint
- Blender 2.43 - 3D modeling, animation, rendering application
- Dia 0.96.1-3 - a diagram creation program program - free alternative to MS Visio
- Diagram Designer is another freeware tool that suffers (like Dia) from looking a bit on the outdated side.
- Network Notepad creating interactive network diagrams.
- CADE was developed primarily as a CAD tool, but it also serves as a handy network diagramming tool.
- Gliffy is the only Web-based tool on this list. It's easy to use and it works on any platform. With the ability to drag and drop shapes from numerous object libraries, you can have your network diagram ready in no time.
- yEd is a Java-based tool that's available for Windows and Linux. It has a great user interface and features diagram creation, auto-layout, data import (GraphML, Excel XLS, GEDCOM, GML, XML), and data export (PDF, SWF, JPG, GIF, BMP, and HTML image maps).
- K-3D is free-as-in-freedom 3D modeling and animation software.
- Inkscape 0.45.1 - scalable vector graphics format (SVG) drawing tool
- Powerstrip Advanced, multi-monitor, programmable hardware support to a wide range of graphics cards.
Back to top
Back to top
- Hamachi - VPN client, a hidden encrypted network on top of a another IP network.
- ConnectionMonitoring is a simple tool that allows you to monitor incoming and outgoing socket connections. With this connection information at hand, you can see whether any unwanted traffic is coming into a machine. Portable.
- TCPView is like Netstat with a power boost. With this portable tool, you can view a detailed listing and the current state of all TCP and UDP endpoint connections, as well as the process name running each endpoint.
- DNS Benchmark allows you to do exactly what the name implies -- benchmark your DNS servers. You can easily determine whether your nameservers are the cause of your networking problems. Portable.
- Pale Moon Portable is based on the minimalist version of Firefox but is far lighter in weight and far faster in performance. Pale Moon (the creators of the browser) claims a 25% speed increase over Firefox.
- EasyPHP allows you to carry around a complete portable WAMP stack on a stick. This tool is mostly useful for developers, but anyone who needs a portable Web server can benefit from having this available.
- OpenVPN Full-featured, free and open source SSL-based VPN solution.
- Network Administrator - Easily make tweaks and changes to
machines across your LAN. Free trial. Not freeware.
- IntelliAdmin Profile Generator - The IntelliAdmin Profile Generator
is a command line program that can be called from your logon script.
It creates an Microsoft Exchange® Profile automatically so you never
need to walk users through the setup wizard again. Free trial. Not freeware.
- TightVNC an improved version of VNC, great free remote-desktop tool
- UltraVNC v1.0.2 - a remotely desktop software similar to Windows Terminal Server
- LogMeIn.com to access and control your PCs or Macs from anywhere.
- RealVNC Free Edition Virtual Network Computing software making it possible to view and fully-interact with one computer from any other computer or mobile device anywhere on the Internet.
- VNC Flaw
Test - This program allows you
test your installation of VNC for the password bypass vulnerability.
- VNC Navigator - VNC Navigator allows
you to easily manage your VNC connections. Quickly connect to VNC
Servers, and store passwords in an encrypted database. Free trial
- Remote Control LAN Edition - A remote control solution designed for your LAN. No agents to
install. Just type a computer name and click connect. IntelliAdmin
takes care of the rest. Free trial.
- Remote Control Internet Edition - A remote control solution designed for
the Internet. Easily control machines across your LAN, or across the
world. Free trial.
- Remote Reboot - Allows you to reboot
Windows NT/2000/XP/20003 machines across your LAN. Only
shows machines that are on the same domain.
Disabler - Allows you to easily enable or disable floppy drives on your Windows 2000, 2003, or XP systems - across your LAN
- CD ROM Drive Remote Disabler - Allows you to easily enable or disable CD ROM drives on your Windows 2000, 2003, or XP systems - across your LAN
- USB Remote Drive Disabler - Allows you to easily enable or disable USB drives on your Windows 2000, 2003, or XP systems - across your LAN
- WireShark (Formerly Ethereal) analyze the packets on your network.
- The Dude scan all devices within specified subnets, draw and layout a map of your networks, monitor services of your devices and alert you in case some service has problems.
- Netstumbler Tool that allows you to detect Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) using 802.11b, 802.11a and 802.11g.
- WinSock XP Fix WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.
- Lookatlan.com Network Monitoring and Management Solutions
- WinIPConfig - replacement for ipconfig.exe and route.exe
- Angry IP Scanner
- Samspade looks up IP addresses, domain names, WHOIS, DNS, etc.
- SuperScan Powerful TCP port scanner, pinger, resolver.
- Active Ports Monitor all open TCP/IP and UDP ports on the local computer.
- IP-Tools many TCP/IP utilities in one program.
- Free Port Scanner scan ports on fast machines in a few seconds and can perform scan on predefined port ranges.
- NetMeter - network bandwidth monitoring.
Back to top
Back to top
- VirtualDub video capture/processing
- CamStudio Record all screen and audio activity on your computer and create industry-standard AVI video files and using its built-in SWF Producer; turn those AVIs into Streaming Flash videos
- Video mp3 Extractor - rip audio from video files
- Streamripper Open Source (GPL) application
- lets you record streaming mp3 to your hard drive.
- Free iPod Converter - convert all popular video formats to iPod video
- MS MovieMaker comes with Windows XP
- Monkey's Audio
- mpTrim trims your mp3 songs. Cut some at the beginning or end of a song.
- EncSpot Basic
- Audiobook Cutter Split your MP3 audio books and podcasts in a fast and user friendly way. The split files can easily be used on mobile MP3 players because of their small-size.
Back to top
Back to top
Back to top
Back to top
- Converber - unit convertor
- Sunbird - calendar/organizer
- EssentialPIM Free - calendar/organizer
- PhraseExpress - speed up your writing
- ATnotes - create notes on the desktop
- PC Suite 602
- Convert - unit convertor
- AccessOpener - a utility that allows you to open your Access files with the correct program version
- Zippy Backup Assist - a utility that allows you to repair, compact and zip your Access data files easily
- SMSQ - a freeware software application that allows you to send and receive SMS messages from an Access database, using a standard GSM modem.
- Access Runtime Tester - a utility that is part of the installation procedure for Miami applications. The install procedure is completely new, using Inno Setup.
- MyMail.ocx - a utility that allows you to send emails from within Microsoft Access.
- MouseWheel - Library to allow Access users to use their mouse wheel in a helpful way.
- OpenOffice.org 2.2.0 - a free alternative to MS Office. This is a productivity suite compatible with all major office suites such as CorelOffice, StarOffice, etc.
- GanttProject 2.0.4 - a free alternative to MS Project. This is a Gantt chart based project scheduling and management tool
- AbiWord 2.4.6 - free word processing program, compatible with MS Word
- Grisbi 0.5.9 - a personal finance manager similar to MS Money, Turbotax, etc.
- ExtractNow Utility that allows you to extract multiple archives quickly and easily.
- Rainlendar 0.22.1 - a an application that displays skinnable calendar on your desktop
- WinMerge 2.6.6 - WinMerge is a Win32 tool for visual difference display and merging, for both files and directories.
- ConvertAll 0.4.0 - a unit conversion program
- TreeLine 1.0.1 -a sticky-notes management program
- DBDesigner4 184.108.40.206 - a visual database design system
- TrayIt! Minimize anything each application which applies TrayIt! creates a small icon in the System Tray.
- 4t Tray Minimizer Free Minimizes to tray any application.
- Hawkeye ShellInit Scriptable application that creates screen margins where applications can be placed.
- HiderPx Allows one to reopen a window of any process in the background which "vanished" from the taskbar.
- allSnap Small system tray program that causes all top level windows to snap to the sides of the screen and each other while moving or sizing.
- ShortPopUp Reduce confusion and taskbar clutter
- ATnote "Post-it" type system tray note taking software available in many languages.
- Atlantis Nova
- Programmers Notepad 220.127.116.11 - a text editor with special features for programmers/coders
- PureText Remove formatting from the text when pasting from programs like Word.
- Notepad2 2.0.15 -a text editor with the look and feel of Notepad but with more features
- metapad Notepad replacement with dual font support.
- Notepad2 A small, fast and free text editor with syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages.
- Doc Convertor - document convertor
- Adobe Reader
- pdf995 create professional-quality PDF files from any application the fast affordable way.
- PDFCreator 0.9.3 - a tool that can create Adobe Acrobat® PDFs from any Windows application that can print, such MS Office or OpenOffice
- BullZip PDF Printer Works as a Microsoft Windows printer and allows you to write PDF documents from virtually any Microsoft Windows application.
Back to top
Back to top
- Y'z Dock -
program launcher like the dock in MacOS X.
- Y'Shadow - shadow effect to the windows
- Y'z Toolbar - change the toolbar icons in Explorer and Internet Explorer
- Explore2fs GUI explorer tool for accessing ext2 and ext3 filesystems via Windows.
- Taskbar Shuffle - rearrange the programs on the taskbar by dragging
- Power Menu Adds "Always On Top", "Minimize To Tray", "Priority" and "Transparency" sub menus to all top level system menus.
- Visual Task Tips - thumbnail preview image for each task in the taskbar
- Customize Folder Right click and change the folder's appearance
- Badges - put badges on any folder or file
- iColorFolder Give some color to WindowsXP folders with just a right-click, colorize your folders.
- Folderico - change icons of the folders
The Wonderful Icon Minimize programs onto the taskbar tray instead of just onto the taskbar and much more.
- Folder Marker - mark your folders
- Folder2MyPC - add favourite locations to My Computer
Sizer Resize any window to an exact, predefined size.
- Microsoft TweakUI - system settings
- ClearTweak Change the contrast setting of the ClearType setting for Windows XP.
SyncToy Copy, move, rename, and delete files between folders and computers quickly and easily.
- xpy Similar to MS Synctoy. Small tool which disables the default threats of a Windows XP installation.
- BricoPacks - shell packs
- ShellPacks - shell packs
- Tango Shell Patcher - shell patcher
- XPize - GUI enhancer
- Vista Transformation Pack - complete visual style
desktopListView Turns your desktop icons into a menu list.
- Vista Sound Scheme - Windows Vista sound scheme
- Royale Theme - visual style
Pstart A portable start menu that can be installed on a USB drive or your local PC and provides quick access to programs and documents.
- RocketDock - application launcher
Back to top
Back to top
- CPU-Z - cpu information
- Prime 95 - cpu benchmarking
- SuperPI - cpu benchmarking
- CPU Rightmark - cpu overclock
- Core Temp - cpu temperature
- CrystalCPUID - cpu information
- Central Brain Identifier - cpu information
- Everest - system information
- SiSoft Sandra - system information
- SIW System Information for Windows. analysis and diagnostics.
- SpeedFan - hardware monitor
- Memtest86 RAM reliability tester that runs under Windows.
- MaxMem RAM: defragger. Realtime physical memory management program that automatically ensures that you always have as much physical memory available as possible.
- 3Dmark 06 - 3D game performance benchmark
- Aquamark - performance benchmark
- rthdribl - 3D benchmark
- Fraps - 3D benchmark, fps viewer and screen recorder
- ATiTool - video overclock
- ATI Tray Tools - Radeon tweaker
- aTuner - GeForce and Radeontweaker
- RivaTuner - video overclock
- Nokia Monitor Test - monitor adjustmets
- UDPixel - fix dead pixels
Belarc Advisor Builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware and displays the results in your Web browser.
ShowIP Shows ones Private and Public IP address and alerts you of changes.
NetStat Live TCP/IP protocol monitor which can be used to see your exact throughput on both incoming and outgoing data
- Process Explorer Shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.
- WINPATROL lists all and every auto starting program on your system.
- WinPooch 0.6.6 - detects and blocks programs (such as trojans or spyware) attempting to modify your system
- StartupList Another tool that lists auto starting program on your system.
- Startup Delayer Specify which programs to start first and which ones to delay when booting Windows to decrease boot time.
- Startup Manager Enables & disables auto-start programs in the the startup folders, registry & WIN.INI file.
- RK Launcher Sidebar at the edge of the screen that is used to quickly launch shortcuts.
Back to top
Back to top
- nLite - Build your own custom Windows disk. Permanent Windows components removal and pre-installation Windows configuration.
- Site with many links to free software: thefreecountry.com
- VirtualPC simulates another computer in your pc.
- VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and OpenSolaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), and OpenBSD.
- VMware the first and still best virtual PC
- Sandboxie Runs any windows app in a "Sandbox" securely preventing it from altering your computer and leave all trace of any used software behind after your done using it.
- grabMotion - webcam capture
- Yawcam simple, yet many features for broadcasting on your home network or on the Internet, or saving to a hard disk.
- iDailyDiary - diary
- Pivot Stickfigure Animator -stick animations
- Wink - presentations
- Scribus - page layout
- FreeMind - mind mapping
Don't forget PC Magazine best free software page
sourceforge.net free open-source software
Back to top