Please be familiar with the following terms and concepts taken from chapter 8 on Developmental Psychology. As before, use the guide to key the areas in the text where you should pay special attention.
1. What is developmental psychology?
2. Be able to distinguish between the ovum, the embryo and
the fetus. What are the characteristics
3. What are terotogens and how do they influence prenatal development?
Be able to identify and
describe several examples of terotogens.
4. What is fetal alcohol syndrome?
5. What is an example of how a newborn can learn by classical conditioning?
6. What is an example of how a newborn can learn by operant conditioning?
7. What does the "visual cliff" indicate about an infant's perception?
8. What is the longitudinal method of doing child development research?
9. What is the cross-sectional method? What are cohort effects?
10. What is the longitudinal-sequential design for doing child development research?
11. Here are a number of concepts regarding cognitive development
(based on Piaget) with which you
should be familiar.
C. Assimilation and accommodation
12. What are the characteristics associated with each of Piaget's developmental stages?
A. Sensorimotor stage
B. Preoperational stage
C. Concrete operations stage
D. Formal operations stage
13. What is object permanence and what is conservation?
14. What are the major shortcomings of Piaget's theory of cognitive development?
15. What is ADHD and what are its probable causes? How is it treated?
16. Be able to identify Kohlberg's States of Moral Understanding.
17. What is social referencing?
18. What does the term temperament refer to? What are three types of temperament?
19. What is meant by "attachment?" What is the "strange situation test?"
20. What are four types of attachment?
21. What is "contact comfort" and how does it relate to attachment?
22. What is gender schema theory?
23. What differences between the genders does the author note
regarding social behavior, cognitive
abilities and psychological adjustment?
24. One of Erikson's eight stages of life is trust versus mistrust.
Be able to explain what this stage
25. What does the author indicate regarding the effect of aging
on intelligence? What's the
difference between crystallized intelligence and fluid intelligence?
26. Be able to describe two theories of aging.