Shown below are terms and concepts with which you should be familiar from chapter 12. Please don't "stop" at just a simple definition for the items. Read the text section for each of the terms and concepts.
1. What is the text definition of psychological disorders? Look for three characteristics.
2. What is a maladaptive behavior?
3. What was the Greek contribution to understanding psychological disorders?
4. How did Pussin and Pinel recommend treating those with psychological disorders?
5. How would Freud, following the psychoanalytic perspective, explain psychological disorders?
6. What is the DSM-IV and how is it used?
7. Be able to identify and describe two examples of mood disorders.
8. What's the effect of depression on thought processes? (see page 466)
9. What is a bipolar disorder? What are the two extremes associated with bipolar?
10. What are some typical causes of depression? What are the common indicators of depression? (see page 467 and lecture)
11. Can suicide be predicted?
12. What two neurotransmitters are associated with depression and mania?
13. What is anxiety?
14. What are phobias? what is a social phobia?
15. What are panic attacks?
16. What are compulsive disorders? (OCD's) What are the causes?
17. What are the characteristics of a posttraumatic stress disorder?
18. What are somatoform disorders? Be able to describe 3 examples.
19. What are dissociative disorders? Be able to describe 2 examples.
20. What is the difference between anorexia and bulimia?
21. What are the five characteristics of schizophrenia highlighted in the text and class?
22. What's the difference between "postive and negative" symptoms?
23. The text desribes 5 contributing causes of schizophrenia. Be able to describe each of the 5.
24. In class several approaches to treating schizophrenia were discussed. Currently, what pattern of therapy approaches seems to work best?