Shown below are terms and concepts with which you should be familiar for chapter 13. As noted on earlier guides, don't just come up with a basic definition or description of the term or concept, but rather read all that the text has to say about the topic.
1. What is psychotherapy? What are the characteristics of or key elements of psychotherapy?
2. What's the basic idea underlying the psychodynamic therapies?
3. What are the four types of mental health professionals who can legally provide psychotherapy?
4. What was Freud's view of the cause of psychological disorders?
5. What are the characteristics of psychoanalysis?
6. What criticisms are commonly made of psychoanalysis?
7. What are the characteristics of client-centered therapy?
8. According to client-centered therapy, what's the primary cause of most psychological problems?
9. What is unconditional positive regard?
10. What criticisms are made of client-centered therapy?
11. How would you describe behavior therapy? How does behavioral therapy approach helping a client?
12. What is systematic desensitization?
13. What is a token economy and how is it used to help clients?
14. How is modeling or observational learning used to help clients?
15. What is the essential element of Cognitive Therapies?
16. What is rational-emotive therapy and what does it attempt to do in therapy?
17. How does behavioral group therapy help clients learn self-control?
18. What is family systems therapy?
19. Based on research, what is known about the effectiveness of psychotherapy?
20. What's the significance of the Consumer Reports study on psychotherapy?
21. What's the "common core" of all forms of psychotherapy that seems to account for the success of psychotherapy?
22. What are three examples of biologically based therapies?
23. What are psychotropic drugs? How are they used?
24. What is the most important group of antipsychotic drugs?
25. What is tardive dyskinesia? With what drug is it associated?
26. Be able to identify and describe 3 types of antidepressive drugs. Be able to provide an example of each.
27.What are antianxiety drugs? What are 2 examples of these minor tranquilizers?
28. How is psychosurgery used?
29. What is electroconvulsive therapy and how is it used?
30. Concerning prevention, what's the difference between primary, secondary and tertiary prevention? Be able to give an example of each.